The first meeting
Get to know each other/establish rapport:
- Take your preparation notes with you to your first meeting to help guide the discussion
- Discuss your objectives for the mentoring relationship
- Share information about your professional life, and personal life where appropriate
- Learn something about each other.
You may wish to discuss the following:
- Objectives/goals for the mentoring relationship
- When and where will you meet?
- How will you schedule meetings?
- How will you communicate between meetings?
- What agenda format will you use?
- Will there be any fixed agenda items to be discussed at every meeting?
- How will you exchange feedback?
- How will you measure success?
Confirm next steps
After each meeting you have the option of filling out the Mentoring Log and you should discuss the date, time and place of future meetings.