The Navigation Systems Panel (NSP) is a Technical Panel of the IEEE Aerospace and Electronics Systems Society (AESS). The Panel shall address navigation systems for aircraft, spacecraft, ground and marine vehicles and pedestrians as well as history of navigation systems and navigation education.
1. The purpose of the Panel is:
- to sustain and oversee the programs of the IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS)
- to interface with the Avionics Systems Panel and assist, as needed, with the sustainment and oversight of the Integrated Communications Navigation and Surveillance Conference (ICNS)
- to promote and support publications in the domain of Navigation;
- to encourage the submission of nominations for IEEE Fellows and Senior Members in the domain of Navigation;
- to create, as needed, new conferences or partnerships in the domain of Navigation.
2. The Panel is composed of IEEE members who are representatives of industry, government laboratories, educational institutions and professional societies, and who are active in the domain of Navigation.
Membership in the Panel is open to active IEEE and AESS members from the Navigation community, who have demonstrated leadership and the desire to advance Navigation technology and system capabilities. Membership falls into one of two categories: (i) active, (ii) emeritus. To remain active, a member must have attended at least 2 of the past 4 meetings (whether they are in-person or telcon). Only Active Members of the Panel can vote on NSP motions and business decisions.
The Navigation Systems Panel meets in-person at least biennially, usually at PLANS. Additional meetings are held, typically quarterly, either in-person or via telcon as called by the Panel Chair. Further discussions are held by email as led by the Panel Chair with decisions taken by email proxy, as appropriate. The Panel Chair or their designee provides minutes of meetings, attendees’ list and a current membership list after the meeting.
The Panel is responsible for selecting and supporting volunteers for the Position, Location and Navigation Symposium (PLANS) and creating, as needed, new conferences or partnerships in the domain of Navigation, consistent with the IEEE guidelines on Conferences.
The Panel elects, from its membership, a Chair and Vice-chair with terms of office of two years. Voting and rules-of-order are established in the By-Laws of the Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society. The Vice-Chair will stand in and lead Panel meetings when the Chair is absent. Chairs shall be limited to two (2) consecutive two (2) year terms. A Chair serving two consecutive terms may be elected again after two (2) years.
The objectives of this Panel are:
- Work with the Institute of Navigation (ION) and the PLANS Executive Committee to select and support volunteers for PLANS (e.g., track chairs, session chairs, etc).
- Maintain a repository of past conference Budgets, Final Reports, Best Practices and lessons learned.
- Promote the submission of navigation manuscripts to the IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems and the AESS Magazine.
- Facilitate NSP nominations/endorsements for Senior Member and Fellow Grade.
- Develop, as needed, new conferences related to the NSP’s areas of interest.
New May 2017