Claudio Sacchi was born in Genoa (Italy) in 1965. He obtained the “Laurea” degree in Electronic Engineering and the Ph.D. in Space Science and Engineering at the University of Genoa (Italy) in 1992 and 2003 respectively. In January 1996, he joined the Signal Processing & Telecommunications (SP&T) Group of the Department of Biophysical and Electronic Engineering (DIBE) of the University of Genoa.
In 1997, he carried on his research activity under a grant from Italian National Research Council (CNR). Then, Dr. Sacchi cooperated from 1999 to 2002 with CNIT (National Italian University Consortium on Telecommunications) in project activities related to broadband satellite communications. Since August 1st 2002, Dr. Sacchi has a permanent position as assistant professor at the Faculty of Engineering of University of Trento. He is currently affiliated to the Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science (DISI, formerly DIT) of University of Trento. He is currently teaching three courses for undergraduate and graduate students attending Telecommunications Engineering (bachelor degree and MSc. degree). During his research and didactic carrier, Claudio Sacchi has been supervisor and co-supervisor of 42 Master Degree theses, 5 Bachelor Degree theses and 3 Ph.D. theses.
The main research interests of Dr. Sacchi can be listed as follows:
- Broadband satellite transmissions, terabit satellites and use of EHF bands for satellite
- Signal detection techniques for single carrier and multi-carrier multiple access systems:
application to LTE and LTE-A mobile transmissions;
- Radio resource management techniques considering unconventional approaches based e.g. on
- Software-Defined-Radio (SDR) for design and the implementation of cost-effective mobile
terminals characterized by dynamic and optimized reconfigurability;
- Cognitive and opportunistic radio techniques for emergency communications.
- Claudio Sacchi is author and co-author of more than 70 contributions published in international
journals, edited books, international conferences, etc.;
- He is associate editor for IEEE COMMUNICATIONS LETTERS, IEEE COMMUNICATIONS SURVEYS
AND TUTORIALS, and COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS journals;
- In 2011, he was co-guest editor of PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE for the special issue titled:
“Aerospace Communications and Networking: History, Trends and Future.”
Conference organization activities
Claudio Sacchi has been involved in the organization and chairing of many workshops and conferences. Some selected events (with related roles) are listed in the following:
- Co-chair of the workshop: “Exploitation of Higher Frequency Bands in Broadband Aerospace
Communications” (EHF-AEROCOMM) held in conjunction with IEEE GLOBECOM 2008 Conference
(New Orleans, LA, November 30 2008);
- Symposium co-chair at IEEE GLOBECOM 2009 Conference (Honolulu, Hawaii – USA, 30 November –
4 December 2009) for the Selected Areas on Communications (SAC) symposium;
- General co-chair of the 3rd International ICST Conference on Personal Satellite Services (PSATS
2011), held in Malaga (Spain) from 17 to 18 February 2011;
- General chair of 4th International Workshop on Multiple Access Communications (MACOM 2011),
held in Trento (Italy) from 12 to 13 September 2011;
- Co-chair of Session 4.11: “Wideband Communication Systems” of the IEEE AEROSPACE
CONFERENCE for the 2012 and 2013 editions.
Claudio Sacchi is Senior Member of the IEEE (SM’07) and affiliated to the IEEE Signal Processing Society (SPS) and to the IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (AESS). He is member of the AESS Technical Panel on Space Systems.