The AESS Glue Technologies for Space Systems Technical Panel is proud to announce the organization of the third edition of the Summer School: “Frontier Technologies for Space 2.0 Communications” from 29 August to 1 September 2023.
This event has been successfully attended by students coming worldwide during the first two editions (2021 and 2022). The Summer School will offer cutting-edge lectures held by leading experts recognized at the international level concerning the most advanced topics about “New Space” communication technologies.
When: 29 August-1 September 2023
Where: Zoom (link will be provided prior to the school after you have registered)
Registration: Free, but required. Register by 21 August 2023.
Credits: Available upon request.
Who Should Attend?
The Summer School is open to Master's and Ph.D. students, to academic and industrial research fellows that want to increase their knowledge about new trends in space communication and networking research.
How to Register
Candidates are requested to send an email to the School organizer Prof. Claudio Sacchi ((Click to show email)) containing the following information:
- First Name
- Last/Family Name
- Current Position (Student, Researcher, etc.)
- Email Address
- Requesting Credits (Yes/No)*
*Students that want to earn credits from the Summer School will be required to complete a final exam. Otherwise, a certificate of attendance (with no credit) will be delivered upon request.
(Times listed in CEST)
Tuesday, 29 August
- 8:45 AM-9:00 AM - Welcome to the Participants (Claudio Sacchi, University of Trento, Italy)
- 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - “Space 2.0”: the New Space Revolution (Claudio Sacchi, University of Trento, Italy; Marina Ruggieri, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy; Cosimo Stallo, Thales, Rome, Italy)
- 4:30 PM-7:30 PM - End-to-End System Considerations for Space Communications Systems (Kar-Ming Cheung, JPL, Pasadena, CA, USA)
Wednesday, 30 August
- 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - Space Softwarization: From Physical Layer to Services: A New Paradigmatic Vision of Space Networks (Fabrizio Granelli and Claudio Sacchi, University of Trento, Trento, Italy; Alessandro Guidotti, University of Bologna, Italy)
- 3:00 PM-6:00 PM - Space Quantum Communications (R. Bassoli, R. Ferrara, J. Notzel, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany)
Thursday, 31 August
- 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - EHF for Satellite Communications: The Latest Developments and Experimentations (Giorgia Parca, Giuseppe Codispoti, Italian Space Agency – ASI, Rome, Italy, Tommaso Rossi, University of Rome” Tor Vergata”, Rome, Italy)
- 4:30 PM-7:30 PM - Software Defined Radio for Satellite Communications: Applications for On Board and Ground Processing and Internet of Remote Things (Eugene Grayver, Aerospace Corporation, El Segundo, CA; Vlad Popescu, University of Transylvania, Brasov, Romania)
Friday, 1 September
- 9:00 AM-12:00 PM - Satellite Networking in “5G and Beyond 5G” Scenarios (Mohammed Slim Alouini, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia; Mario Marchese, Fabio Patrone, University of Genoa, DITEN, Italy)
- 4:00 PM-6:00 PM - Final Exam
This Summer School is organized by the University of Trento, University of Genoa, and University of Roma "Tor Vergata". If you have any questions, please contact Professor Claudio Sacchi.
- Claudio Sacchi (University of Trento, Trento, Italy)
- Tommaso Rossi (University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, Italy)
- Fabrizio Granelli (University of Trento, Trento, Italy)
- Mario Marchese (University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy)
The event is organized by the AESS Glue Technologies for Space Systems Technical Panel and is co-sponsored by IEEE AESS.